ss_blog_claim=382b23c0c917c4da8523791d09618c76

Friday, July 28, 2006

It hurts...

I am listening to the songs that were played on mum's cremation. Am I torturing myself? No... I felt tears behind my eyes, but they wouldn't come. Now they are pouring and I'm crying a river...
These are the songs:
  • Tears in heaven by Eric Clapton - text here
  • Look for me in rainbows by Vicky Brown - text here
  • Into the west by Annie Lennox - from LOTR, listen to it here (read the text)

In the church a woman mum admired sang "Ave Maria" (Gounod version) and "Panis Angelicus". A choir version of "Ave Verum" was played on CD. I also selected a few songs that mum wanted; some were also sung at dad's mess.

I also found the text I spoke in the cremation ceremony. It is directly addressed to mum. I spoke to her and didn't see all the people; it was just between mum and I. People told me it moved them to tears. Joke also made a speech. Gerard didn't, it's not his thing. He designed a beautiful thanks-card we sent people afterwards.

Mum's apartment is as good as empty. In "The Pagan Book of Living and Dying" by Starhawk I found two prayers, one for things I'm keeping and one for things that are going away. I used them (in Dutch and in my own words) when I was alone in her flat this week. I'll share them with you:

Beloved mother,
I take this in memory of you.
May something of your spirit remain
so that as I touch this (book, dress, vase)
we will touch across the veil.

Beloved mother,
this was yours once.
Now you have no more need of it.
Withdraw your energy, your spirit, your desire.
I ask your blessing on the one who receives this.


I can certainly recommend the book. I had it already; there are great things in it. It is very interesting stuff in general and very helpful when someone is crossing over.

4 comments:

  1. Dat liedje van Annie Lennox, iedere keer als ik dat hoorde begon ik hard te janken, omdat het me heel erg aan mijn oma deed denken.
    Liedjes helpen, ik denk ook dat het bij de verwerking van een verlies hoort.
    Het is goed om op je gemak alles nog eens na te gaan nu je wat meer het besef hebt van wat er allemaal is gebeurt. Want alles gaat zo snel aan je voorbij wanneer iemand komt te overlijden en je nog van alles moet regelen.
    Het is zeker wel vreemd om nu nog in je moeders appartement te zijn? Alsof de ziel er uit is.
    Neem je tijd er voor om alles te verwerken, want wat mensen ook mogen zeggen (of denken) rouw is niet aan een bepaalde tijd gebonden. Het is tenslotte nog allemaal zo kort geleden gebeurt.
    Heel veel sterkte en een dikke knuffel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book!!!

    Much of it was very comforting to me in dealing with the loss of my own mom.

    I am so sorry for your loss

    ReplyDelete
  3. ik zag net pas dat je ook een link naar de muziek van Annie Lennox had staan. Ik heb even geluisterd, en ik krijg er weer helemaal kippenvel van. Typisch dat muziek zoveel meer kan zeggen dan woorden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2/8/06 20:49

    veel sterkte Tink en neem vooral de tijd. Muziek kan een snaar raken die je met woorden niet kunt benoemen. Mooi en doeltreffend dus.
    liefs Laïs

    ReplyDelete

I'm really sorry I had to enable comment & word moderation. Loads of spam comments spoiled the free commenting, but please... don't let it stop you. I love every non-spam comment!
Thanks for visiting.
Love, Tink