ss_blog_claim=382b23c0c917c4da8523791d09618c76

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

She's not just a fairy, she’s a guardian angel

Last week Lonnie Lardner, grassroots filmmaker in Los Angeles, sent me an e-mail and told me about a very special, different documentary including Tinker Bell. My curiosity was stirred! I looked more into it and got more enthusiastic with every line I read. I'll tell you more.

"Angel in the Hood" is a documentary profiling two tough Latina girls from a gang neighbourhood, who have turned their lives around (attending college, working toward degrees in nursing and education). But the kicker to the story is: they are obsessed with Peter Pan's Tinker Bell; specifically, Disney's version of Tinker Bell. Both of Mexican descent, the girls see Tink as a guardian angel or personal spiritual guide. Their "tough-love" teacher tries to talk them out of their devotion, saying she's "a fairy going nowhere." But the girls stand firm in their conviction. The documentary follows their story for three years, their life-changing journey out of the ghetto and into adulthood through the inspiration of a most unlikely source.
You can read a lot more on the Angel in the Hood website. Don't forget to listen to the wonderful "Neverland", original music by Kyle Lardner.


“Angel in the Hood” will be featured in the first annual Hollywood “Feel Good Film Festival” this Saturday. The mission of the festival panel is to showcase “films with a positive message” that let you “leave the theater feeling good.”
The festival screening will be held at Hollywood’s historic Egyptian Theater on Hollywood Boulevard, just east of Highland, on Saturday, August 23rd at 1:30 pm. Unfortunately I'm too far away to be able to come, but if you are a Tink-fan too and live close enough to attend: it would mean so much to Lonnie if you could come and show your support. The film runs 50 minutes, and there will be a Q & A session after it screens.

Date: Saturday, August 23rd 2008
Time: 1:30pm
Place: Egyptian Theater, 6712 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90028

Tickets are $9 and may be purchased at the door or on line
Questions? Call Lonnie: (805) 490-7099, Chuck Mills: (818) 591-8252 or Sharon Lignier: (818) 300-7055

If you're going: please let me know and tell all about it!!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous20/8/08 17:23

    That sounds like an amazing film. I don't live too far from LA, but I don't think I can make it. I will however watch the site to see if the film is released closer to home or to DVD.

    ReplyDelete

I'm really sorry I had to enable comment & word moderation. Loads of spam comments spoiled the free commenting, but please... don't let it stop you. I love every non-spam comment!
Thanks for visiting.
Love, Tink