ss_blog_claim=382b23c0c917c4da8523791d09618c76

Friday, March 20, 2009

J.W. Waterhouse exhibition

Waterhouse exhibition catalogue Yesterday Wonder and I went to the J.W. Waterhouse Exhibition in the Groninger Museum, the largest retrospective of the art of John William Waterhouse (1849-1917) ever mounted. Although Waterhouse’s compelling scenes are admired by millions of people worldwide, the general public knows relatively little about the man himself and his artistic production. This exhibition features 92 paintings, drawings, and sketchbooks. It is the first to consider his entire career, demonstrating his engagement with contemporary trends ranging from antiquarianism to mystical spirituality.

I have always admired Waterhouse's art. It was amazing to see the paintings for real. The colours, the texture, looking up close, the sketchbooks and studies... fabulous!! I enjoyed myself so much. I have bought the hardcover catalogue guide and will look back very often. Our pictures can be found here.

After Groningen (until May 3rd) the exhibition will travel to the Royal Academy of Arts in London (June 23 – Sept. 13, 2009) and the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts in Canada (Oct. 1, 2009 – Feb. 7, 2010). If you like Waterhouse and you get the chance: GO! :-)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this information.I hope that you are having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous! Waterhouse is one of my absolute favorite artists! "My Sweet Rose" was one reason I chose my shop and blog name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be a delightful exhibit. I followed your link and spent a few moments feasting on the Waterhouse paintings. However, I know from experience that nothing surpasses viewing the real art in the real world. I am glad you had the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so lucky to have all that stuff on your doorstep. We've got practically no art at all in KL. I do miss Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds great. Pity the exhibition won't come to Canberra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice that you were able to experience art in the flesh sort of speak. Beautiful, just beautiful!!

    :D

    ReplyDelete

I'm really sorry I had to enable comment & word moderation. Loads of spam comments spoiled the free commenting, but please... don't let it stop you. I love every non-spam comment!
Thanks for visiting.
Love, Tink