ss_blog_claim=382b23c0c917c4da8523791d09618c76

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Thorn Birds

"There's a legend about a bird... that sings just once in its life more sweetly than any other creature on the face of the earth. From the moment it leaves the nest it searches for a thorn tree and doesn't rest until it has found one. Then, singing among the savage branches, it impales itself upon the longest, sharpest spine. And dying, it rises above its own agony to out-carol the lark and the nightingale. The whole world stills to listen and God in his heaven smiles. For the best is bought only at the cost of great pain or so says the legend... But when we press the thorn to our brest we know, we understand, but still we do it."

Last week's TT has caused a certain effect on me... Or rather, remembering The Thorn Birds has. How did I ever forget about that wonderful book by Colleen McCullough turned into a just as wonderful tv-series? Well, I didn't! I must have read the book a zillion times. The series had me glued to the television. I cried quite some tears for Maggie and Ralph. I found out that at the beginning of next month the Dutch DVD-box will be on the market. Guess who has it pre-ordered..? ;-) (edit May 22: already got it, yay!!)

When I heard the first notes of the main theme by Henry Mancini I knew every note of it again. The instrumental version is great, but the sung version by Monica Mancini still touches me too... I had the soundtrack on a cassette tape, but I'm sure it's available on CD now.

I'm a silly sentimental and hopeless romantic...
And I wouldn't want to be anything different!


You know I will follow
Anywhere the heart goes
I will go until I know
All life can be

Love can hurt when you go
Anywhere the heart goes
Don't you know it isn't easy
Being me

I hold you inside where my love never dies
And you will always live somewhere in me

If you want to follow
Anywhere the heart goes
I will be here when you want me
Any way you want me
And good years bad years
Would all fall away
If I knew that your heart
Would follow my heart
Someday

- (Meggie's Theme)

3 comments:

  1. That's so beautiful, I remember reading the book too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read and re-read that book also when I was in high school. I loved it. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous25/5/08 00:34

    I remember reading the Thorn Birds when it came out.
    Thanks for a blast from the past!

    ReplyDelete

I'm really sorry I had to enable comment & word moderation. Loads of spam comments spoiled the free commenting, but please... don't let it stop you. I love every non-spam comment!
Thanks for visiting.
Love, Tink