ss_blog_claim=382b23c0c917c4da8523791d09618c76

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Making herbal oils

temporarily in milkbottlesSt. John's Wort along the river Neteat home in pharmacist's jars

In Lier several herbs were growing along the river Nete or nearby. I decided to take some St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) and Camomile (Matricaria chamomilla), because there was plenty of it. Early in the morning Ron and I made the beautiful walk along the river and picked the flowers. From each plant we only took a few; we didn't want to harm them! Unfortunately a week later the banks were mowed to the ground...
I didn't have jars with me, so I temporarily put the flowers in Belgian milkbottles. I added "arachideolie"(peanutoil?) to make macerates (explanation). At home I put them in pharmacist's jars. They are now upstairs, in the window-sill or outside. I think I'll filter and bottle the oil during the next full moon.

6 comments:

  1. Wooouuww, sounds great. Selfmade is always bestmade :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so cool. I wish I could do stuff like that. But I can hardly identify the plants in my yard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I made them I used dried and fresh herbs from a store. That works too! I'm no plant genius either, better safe than sorry. I just use what I'm 100% sure of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read some time ago St. John's Wort can affect your hormones - and contraceptive methods. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that's true. St. John's Wort is called the natural antidepressant, but it affects contraceptive methods. Women that use those better not take St. John's Wort. Incidental use of the oil I'm describing here should be safe though. If used on your skin it makes it more sensitive to sunshine. If I give my oils as a present I always include a note with do's and dont's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm really sorry I had to enable comment & word moderation. Loads of spam comments spoiled the free commenting, but please... don't let it stop you. I love every non-spam comment!
Thanks for visiting.
Love, Tink