ss_blog_claim=382b23c0c917c4da8523791d09618c76

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Book meme

Some weeks ago I read about this meme on Books and Other Thoughts. I really liked it, so I saved it to do it at a certain point. Now is the time! :-)

Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?
I can’t remember when I did not love books! My parents, esp. my father, encouraged me to read. As soon as I learned to read, I had to have books, magazines, papers… everything with letters! In school my love for books was nourished too. I was a member of the local adult library quite young, because I had read everything in the kid’s library.

What are some books you read as a child?
As a kid I liked Pinkeltje a lot, a Dutch series about a little man as big as your pink. I still collect the old versions of Pinkeltje; I don’t like the new ones!
Somewhat older I liked series by Enid Blyton, Nancy Drew detectives, a lot of non-fiction and so much more. In my childhood the seed was planted for the love of my favourite book(s) of all time: The Lord of the Rings. I read a children’s version first and soon tried the Dutch translation. As soon as I learned to read English I ventured upon the original and I never stopped re-reading it.

What is your favourite genre?
If I really have to pick one I guess it would be fantasy. I like most genres though, depends on my mood.

Do you have a favourite novel?
Lord of the Rings is my all-time favourite, but I have many novels that I read and re-read.

Where do you usually read?
Just about anywhere! A lot when I’m on the toilet, haha! During a long ride by bus or on the ferry, outside in the sun, snuggled up on the coach with a big pot of tea…

When do you usually read?
Whenever I can and want to.

Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?
Sometimes I do. Often a fiction and a non-fiction one.

Do you read non-fiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?
nope

Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?
I buy all of my books, or get them as a gift.

Do you keep most of the books you buy? If not, what do you do with them?
Yes, I keep (nearly) all of them. It’s hard to say goodbye to any book. The result is boxes and boxes full around the house. When my room is finally ready and I have book chests, I want to sort them out. I have to, although I doubt I can put a lot of them away...
If a book leaves my home, it is going to a friend. I also release them through Bookcrossing.

If you have children, what are some of the favourite books you have shared with them? Were they some of the same ones you read as a child?
I don't have children, but I often buy books as a birthday present for kids. I think it's good to stimulate kids in reading books.

What are you reading now?
”Op fluwelen pootjes” (about Dewey the library cat) by Vicky Myron. I noticed it in the Early Reviewer batch on LibraryThing, but it wasn’t available for the Netherlands. When I saw the Dutch translation in the book shop, I bought it right away and I love it!!
I also have various pagan books around, because I’m currently writing two rituals.

Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list?
Sort of. I don’t have an actual list, but I always have books around that I just bought and haven’t read yet.

What’s next?
I don’t know! I have several to choose from, but I haven’t decided yet.

What books would you like to re-read?
Besides Lord of the Rings, you mean? ;-) I re-read a lot of my books: sometimes entirely, sometimes only my favourite parts.

Who are your favourite authors?
J.R.R. Tolkien, Anne Rice, Agatha Christie and W.B. Yeats are the permanent ones, but I also add ones over time like Kit Berry (Stonewylde series) and Jacqueline Zirkzee (Dutch author of history-based novels) during the last year.
Pagan authors: Phyllis Curott, Marian Green, Anodea Judith, Glennie Kindred.

I keep track of my books on LibraryThing. If you have a profile there too, let me know or send me a friend request. I like to explore your library!

If you want to do this book-meme too, please do so! Let me know and I'll visit to see your answers.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing the meme - it was fun reading your answers! I like the fact that you reread favorite parts of books. It would never occur to me to do that! I guess I feel as though I need to "earn" my way to my favorite parts by reading the whole book. I get all excited that the part is coming up! Funny how we all do things differently, isn't it? And so many things the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great Meme - always nice to know a blog friend even better.

    I remember I loved to read and even red for when I was young. Now I read less books, but more Internet literature and actually I think thats a pity.

    ReplyDelete

I'm really sorry I had to enable comment & word moderation. Loads of spam comments spoiled the free commenting, but please... don't let it stop you. I love every non-spam comment!
Thanks for visiting.
Love, Tink