ss_blog_claim=382b23c0c917c4da8523791d09618c76

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

And I love you so...

How do I Love Thee?

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

(Elizabeth Barrett Browning 1770-1850)


Today is our tenth wedding anniversary! We are together much longer (almost 20 years), but I love to think about that very special day in 1995. In the beginning of 1995 we were engaged for seven years. We had been saving for a wedding, but every time something important had to be paid first. Somehow I felt we had to do it that year and I always wanted to get married in December (under the tree!). Ron had asked me several times, so we happily agreed. The next year my dad suddenly died and I knew why we had to get married the year before…

We didn’t want a big expensive event; we just wanted to be married! The wedding ceremony took place at 9am (free!) and we only invited my family and a few friends. My sister Joke and my friend Cynthia were my witnesses; Ron had asked both his brothers-in-law. The party was at our place for the rest of the day. On the day itself we sent self-made cards to everyone else. We had dinner with my family and the witnesses at Dinges, our favourite restaurant. They had even decorated the place for us! This is the last picture taken of my dad, with my mum in Dinges.

I hadn’t planned a fancy dress, but after I couldn’t find anything suitable my sister offered to buy me a “real” wedding dress. Ron helped me pick one (away with the stupid superstition the groom can’t see the dress before the wedding). Up until today I’m sooo happy with the dress and the way I looked. It was the very first (only?) time in my life I felt beautiful and content with myself. I must have radiated all day! Compare my sister and me at her wedding (in 1980) and mine.

The pictures were taken by friends, but unfortunately the camera of the one who took most of the pics turned out to be broken. So we only have a few good pics and some blurry ones.

Kiss, kiss, kiss!

Aaaaah, reminiscing...... I could go on and on, I remember every second... the (just in time) self-restored old BMW that broke down the evening before the wedding... the very sunny but bitter cold weather... Ron having high fevers... the first very surprised and then proud look on the faces of my parents when I got out of the car in a white wedding dress... taking pictures in the park... the honeymoon in the bridal suite of De Eemhof (Centerparcs)... so much more...

13 comments:

  1. Aha, eindelijk de foto's. Wat een leuk stuk heb je er ook bij geschreven. En heerlijk dat je nog zo gelukkig bent na twintig jaar samen.

    Dikke zoen, Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Van harte gefeliciteerd, 10 jaar getrouwd, wat een tijd zeg!! Hebben jullie nog iets bijzonders gepland voor vandaag?

    knuffels en een fijne dag verder!!!

    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bedankt allebei!
    We hebben niet echt iets gepland voor vandaag. We laten iedere dag merken dat we van elkaar houden! Misschien later vanavond.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Van Harte gefeliciteerd!!! En natuurlijk nog heel veel mooie jaren voor jullie samen gewenst.

    Dikke knuffel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gefeliciteerd!!!!
    Wat een ontzettend mooie foto's zeg!

    En het gedicht..(de tranen rollen nu, je begrijpt wel waarom) zo mooi en zo waar. Eternal love for both of you!

    Nog een hele fijne avond ;o)

    Liefs en knuffels,
    Sophy en Denice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary
    May you be blessed with a life time of happiness

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 10th Anniversary Tink!! I just found your blog listed on our PCF site and was thrilled to find you! Remember me, your cyber-SIL?? PCF "AngelByTheC" :) Your picture of the black cat looks so much like mine!!! Hope you are well! Miss hearing from you! Hope you & dear hubby have a spectacular anniversary! All the best to you! ((Hugs)), sunshine & smiles =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Angel: Hi there! Of course I remember you, silly girl! :-) There's a x-mas card with an update on its way to you!

    @ Connie: Hi, nice to meet you here! Thanks for the compliments and wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zo Tink! Allweer 10 jaar getrouwd! Proficiat! En die jurk is echt heel erg mooi en staat je ook fantastisch!

    Blessed be,
    Emy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary, Tink! May you have many more!

    Wonderful seeing pictures from your wedding, thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your blog.

    I love your wedding dress! You look very pretty in it!

    Hope to see you in june. :o)

    knuffels
    myshadow

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks ladies!

    @MyShadow: The countdown has started; Robbie, here we come!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'm really sorry I had to enable comment & word moderation. Loads of spam comments spoiled the free commenting, but please... don't let it stop you. I love every non-spam comment!
Thanks for visiting.
Love, Tink