ss_blog_claim=382b23c0c917c4da8523791d09618c76

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Spaß in München

Last Thursday very early in the morning we jumped in the car to leave for München (Munich) . We were invited by Ron's friend Rob to celebrate his birthday over there. Rob is born in München and often visits his friends there. One of those, Jacqueline, celebrated her 40th birthday this weekend. The plan was to go with 3 Dutch couples, but the others had canceled. Their loss!
Ron and Rob drove together, so we stopped a few times to switch. We didn't have any traffic jam, but somewhere along the Autobahn (German motorway) we were directed to stop by German customs. We had to hand over our passports and an officer searched the car for drugs. He was surprised to find out that one of the Dutch passports belonged to someone speaking Bavarian fluently! Rob explained and they talked for a while. After some time we could continue our journey. The landscape en route was beautiful: snowy mountains...
I won't go into all the details, but we had a great holiday! We spent one day in the Deutches Museum which was very interesting! Of course we visited the Christkindlmarkt (Christmas Market), actually two! The biggest one was at the Marienplatz in the center of München. We have done and seen a lot, but 4 days isn't quite enough! We wanted to visit a German friend not too far from München, but lacked time unfortunately. We also would have loved to see the BMW museum. Ah well, I hope there will be a next time!
Yesterday morning we drove home, lookin back on a wonderful unexpected but very welcome holiday!

4 comments:

  1. Turning over my new leaf here. :)

    I enjoyed this--reminded me of the times I've been in München--for Oktoberfest when I was in the army; at the Deutsches Museum on a field trip with my daughter; meeting a friend at the Marienplatz, who was the best tour guide ever, even though it was really, really cold.

    My husband lived in München for a year while his dad was in Vietnam. We really should take another trip down there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great trip...my husband's company has just been moved to Munich so I'll be spending more time there - may come to you for hints of where to go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've made me homesick. I spent two years in Munich and we are going back this Summer. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls! I'd love to visit Munich again, just don't know when (yet!).

    ReplyDelete

I'm really sorry I had to enable comment & word moderation. Loads of spam comments spoiled the free commenting, but please... don't let it stop you. I love every non-spam comment!
Thanks for visiting.
Love, Tink