ss_blog_claim=382b23c0c917c4da8523791d09618c76

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bonewits seminar

Some time ago I had booked a seminar by Isaac & Phaedra Bonewits in Amsterdam. It was a 2-day seminar, but because of the Tink event (see post before this one) I had to miss the saturday. I found someone who wanted to take my place on saturday, but decided to go to the sunday sessions myself. I travelled by fast flying ferry and tram, but because of the Amsterdam marathon I had to walk the last part to Centrum De Roos.

Isaac Bonewits is a neopagan priest, magician, scholar, author, bard, activist, polytheologian and a leading experts on ancient and modern druidism, witchcraft, magic, the occult, and the earth religions movement. (read more here and here). In 2004 he was handfasted to tarot expert, writer and Wiccan Priestess Phaedra. Together they opened RealMagicSchool.com, where you can follow classes. There's also a free basic membership.

The theme of the morning session was "Ritual Critique Skills & Real Magic", which was very interesting. Isaac is a good speaker, has a lot of knowledge and sense of humour. Phaedra backs him up and adds her thoughts and/or experience. There was time for questions from the group and some discussion. Before lunch break Isaac signed my book: 'Best witches, Isaac'! :-)

During lunch I had a nice chat with Isaac and Phaedra. In 1970 Isaac graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in magic (and thaumaturgy), the first person ever to do so at a Westem educational institution. Unfortunately college administrators were so embarrassed over the publicity about his degree, that magic, witchcraft and sorcery were banned from the individual group-study program. I also found out that Phaedra is as fond of LibraryThing as I am! She has almost 2000 books in her profile!

The afternoon session was about "Neopagan Polytheology". I knew some things about it from Isaac's book 'Essential guide to witchcraft and wicca', but hearing it in real life is better. We mostly sat down, took notes and listened. Very theoretical and very tiring. It wasn't boring (on the contrary, very interesting again!), but at some point my head was full and I couldn't absorb anything more. After a break (with 2 Cokes) I could concentrate, but when we finished I was worn out. Nevertheless it was very worthwhile!

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful opportunity you had to meet him! We have a man here in our pagan community who makes all of Issac's jewlery..He has some great pieces (the man who makes it)
    http://www.amuletsbymerlin.com/
    I inserted the link in case your interested

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really interesting. But it sounds as if your brain was stuffed full by the finish. You're going to need a couple of weeks to process it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tink. Sounds like fun. I looked for you at TT, but sounds like you had better things to do. I'm awfully glad I still have you in my bookmarks. Happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tink,I have a surprise for on my site so with that being said"Come and Get It!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. To me it did not sounds boring at all - must have been fascinating - no wonder you felt tire afterwords though. Lucky you to meet and chat with him too!

    Btw: Sorry I haven’t been around for a while - fall is a busy season :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Randilin from the Pagan bloggers network. I’m just surfing through the various members today and checking out the blogs and visiting. Thanks for being apart of our little group.

    Sounds like it was an amazing session. Hopefully you post some more notes about it.. Am off to follow links

    ReplyDelete

I'm really sorry I had to enable comment & word moderation. Loads of spam comments spoiled the free commenting, but please... don't let it stop you. I love every non-spam comment!
Thanks for visiting.
Love, Tink