ss_blog_claim=382b23c0c917c4da8523791d09618c76

Monday, March 13, 2006

Feeling lost, regaining hope

Oh brother I can't, I can't get through
I've been trying hard to reach you 'cause I don't know what to do
Oh brother I can't believe it's true
I'm so scared about the future and I wanna talk to you
Oh I wanna talk to you

You can take a picture of something you see
In the future where will I be?
You can climb a ladder up to the sun
Or write a song nobody has sung
Or do something that's never been done

Are you lost or incomplete?
Do you feel like a puzzle, you can't find your missing piece?
Tell me how you feel
Well I feel like they're talking in a language I don't speak
And they're talking it to me

So you take a picture of something you see
In the future where will I be?
You can climb a ladder up to the sun
Or write a song nobody has sung
Or do something that's never been done
Or do something that's never been done

So you don't know where you're going and you wanna talk
And you feel like you're going where you've been before
You tell anyone who'll listen but you feel ignored
Nothing's really making any sense at all, let's talk
Let's talk, let's talk, let's talk.

- (Talk by Coldplay from the album X&Y)


~*~*~*~~*~*~*~~*~*~*~~*~*~*~~*~*~*~~*~*~*~~*~*~*~



This morning I was watching Larry King on CNN about the death of Dana Reeve, the widow of Christopher Reeve ("Superman"). Last week she died of lung cancer at age 44. Larry was talking with friends about her life with Chris and her own battle with cancer. Lance Armstrong, Dana Reeve's friend, the legendary athlete and cancer survivor; ABC news correspondent Deborah Roberts, Dana Reeve's friend and her co-host on the show "Lifetime Live"; Senator John Kerry, close friend of Dana Reeve who campaigned for him when he ran for the White House; renowned spiritual adviser Deepak Chopra who also knew Dana Reeve; Dr. Maya Angelou, whose poems inspired Dana Reeve after Chris' death; Marianne Williamson, the best-selling author and lecturer on spirituality; and Kathy Lewis, president of the Christopher Reeve Foundation. You can read the whole transcript here. It was very moving.

At one point Deepak Chopra said the following:
"We are spirit. We are souls. We are part of a greater wholeness. And that is something that science and spirituality are bringing to us together. So religious insights, spiritual insights, the experience of great seers in ancient times, and today's modern insights all give us a measure of hope, and consolation, and also some feeling that we are part of a bigger wholeness, Larry.
(...) And, you know, there's never any reason to get disheartened. Cancer patients should believe the diagnosis so they can take action, but never believe the prognosis because statistics never applies to the individual. It's like saying, "The average temperature in New York City is 70," but it doesn't tell me what the temperature is today. Or the average income of a person in Los Angeles is $100,000. It doesn't tell me what your income is, if you're coming from Los Angeles. So do not buy into the statistics."


That last part struck me and got me thinking. It doesn’t apply only to a serious matter like this, but to all kinds of situations in life. And, in some strange way, to my own situation. I can’t fully explain, but it gave me hope. Perhaps statistics are against me, but that doesn’t mean things are hopeless for me as an individual. Tomorrow, my fatigue, depression, eating… The hell with statistics, I’m a fighter!

1 comment:

  1. Goed zo meid :)
    En het zijn inderdaad hele mooie woorden van Deepak Chopra, iets om goed over na te denken...
    En het liedje van Coldplay is ook een favoriet van mij; liedjes kunnen op sommige momenten echt opeens inzicht geven.

    ReplyDelete

I'm really sorry I had to enable comment & word moderation. Loads of spam comments spoiled the free commenting, but please... don't let it stop you. I love every non-spam comment!
Thanks for visiting.
Love, Tink